Thursday, November 6, 2014

Newton's 2rd Law Resource




I found this resource helpful, because it is not only long and thorough but it explains the equations in a similar way to how we looked at them in class. Although equations will be the same anywhere, this particular video explained them in a way that reminded me of how Mrs. Lawrence explained them, which is what drew me to this video. For example, F = ma is formed by (a~F) and (a~1/m). I know this video is reliable, because I compared the video content with my class notes, and they match up. The video also contains example experiments, which makes use of the equations and makes them clear to the viewer. One of the experiments in this video exemplified how to solve for force (F = ma) as well as for acceleration (a = F/m). The experiment showed how the velocity was increasing, because the distance in between the time intervals were getting longer each time. I am a visual learner, so I personally learn faster from experiments and diagrams, which is another reason why I enjoyed this video. I watched many other videos before choosing this one, but the other videos didn’t quite cover the material like this video did. An approach the video took that I had not seen before was defining force as the "rate of change of momentum". That definition actually made a lot of sense to me, so during this video I reviewed Newton's 2nd Law as well learning something new about it. One thing I would change about this video was that it didn't explicitly state Newton's 2nd Law in word form. The video stated the law with equations and made the equations very clear, but failed to state how the equations relate to the law as a whole. For example, in class we wrote (F =ma) as
force = (mass) (acceleration). For someone who was just learning about Newton's 2nd Law, that would have been a nice explanation to add to the video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment